|Education Topics||Key Points|
|1) Introduction to Exercise|| ● Benefits of Physical Activity|
● Program targets 3 areas of PA (aerobic, resistance, and flexibility)
● PA is safe, feasible and has shown to provide benefits
|2) Goal Setting|| ● Goal setting will assist with your dedication and motivation to complete the exercises|
● SMART Goals - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely
● Use the goal worksheet in the manual
● Make long term and short term goals
|3) Behavior Change|| ● The plan you set out may not be followed 100%|
● Anticipate obstacles that may come as you are changing a behaviour and develop strategies for dealing with it before it arises.
● Monitor your progress, Reward yourself, Visualize your success
|4) Planning for Barriers|| ● Biggest perceived obstacles|
○ Lack of time, self-discipline, partner and ability
● Plan ahead for periods of inactivity
|5) Social Support|| ● You are more likely to be successful if your family, friends and even co-workers are supportive of you|
● Social support can occur in many forms – encouragement, completing activities with you, etc.
|6) Monitoring Behavior|| ● Mix up your activities to stay motivated|
● Try something new, or something you have done prev.
● It is very easy to enter an exercise rut
|7) Maintaining Motivation|| ● Greatest source of motivation: Fun/enjoyment/stimulation, feeling of accomplishment, pleasure of learning and benefits (i.e. improved sleeping)|
● Pursue something that you enjoy, that is convenient to your schedule.
● Take opportunities to be active
|8) Personal Control||● Believing that you are in control of your own life give you reinforced motivation and further commitment to make changes|
|9) Self- Discipline, Reward & Attitude|| ● Self-discipline can result in increased productivity, improved self-esteem and confidence|
● Rewards – use workbook in manual
● Attitudes toward change can determine whether you will be successful
|10) Adapting your Program||● Adapting your program – FITT principle|
|11) Health and the Media||● Be mindful of the ‘Get fit quick’ media marketing – Healthy eating and regular PA will help maintain a long-term healthy lifestyle|
|12) Lifelong Active Living|| ● Use some of the tips and tricks in the manual to assist with continuing your active life.|
● Change things up, work towards small goals, work with a friend, etc.